[3830] SS CW W4IX Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 9 02:31:59 PST 2010

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W4IX
Operator(s): W4IX
Station: W4IX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SC

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to the Organizers and all the GREAT CW OPS for a great contest..Wish I
had better antennas but made due with what was available..Just could never get
any runs going on 20 meters even though it was wide open...15 provided some
good mults including VY0JA. ( never could get through to VY1EI )..by the time I
dragged myself away from the high bands, 40 was long and sounded like crap with
my small dipole at 35 feet...went to 80 and band was hopping...found a spot and
settled down for 6-7 hours...antenna seems to work good on 80..(Rebuilt Inv L
with 8 radials)...After first nite ended, had 490 Qs and 77 mults...needed NE,
NL and NT..only hrd K0NE in NE when he called other stations..figured I would
get NL on 20 in the mornning, but by the time I got there, the band was
amazingly crowded, so put antenna towards VO land and searched, no luck...went
west to Zero land, no NE...after spending too much time on 20, switched radio
to 15 meters and the first signal heard was VY1EI with a small pile up..guess
he wasnt spotted because a few minutes later the pileup exploded with big guns
and he just left...found him again up the band and same thing..but he stayed
and just kept pounding away but I couldnt get through so I figured that since
the VE1 and VY2 stations were very loud on 15 I would call cq for awhile and
was rewarded with VO1BZM calling in...great, 2 more left...started tuning again
and found VY0JA with a small group calling, he went split and I hrd him wrking
W5WMU, found his freq, went up a bit and got him on the next call...whew, only
NE left...15 was too long to the west for NE so went back to 20 meters..tried
running a bit up around 14077, no luck so started working my way down the band,
had a few q,s between the BPSK and RTTY guys around 14070, then found a station
signing NE around 14067, W0KT...yes, only a few calls and the sweep was
had...Now it was time to try to get to the 1000 Q mark...worked the keyer hard,
and S&Pd like crazy, but it wasnt to be had this time...Just like everyone else
noted, Sunday afternoon was a crawl...amazing how crowded all the bands
sounded, but not many new ones available..Need a Yagi for 40 meters and spend
more time there rather than on 20 and 15 and then I should achieve my first
ever 1000 Q mark. Also, one of these days I will get computer controlled
keying, my hand got pretty numb after all the manual CQing and Q's...LOL 73's
everyone..John W4IX