[3830] CQWW CW VE3CV SOAB(A) LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 30 08:09:49 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3CV
Operator(s): VE3CV
Station: VE3CV

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Varna

  160:   35    10       18
   80:   43    11       38
   40:
   20:   55    18       46
   15:   12    10        9
   10:    8     5        6

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

What a bust.
I go to check the station on Friday and find the hexbeam rotator frozen to the
North.  So I climb the tower in frigid 50 km/hr winds to find the rotator
toast.  I fix the antenna to 45° for EU/Mid East and say, oh well, focusing on
the low bands anyway.

Next I check out my new 160/80 Beverage RX antenna and the FT-1000MP and my
brand new DXE preamp. Another bust!  Walk to the far end of the antenna (in the
winds)to confirm it is OK -it is.  So I check out the RF board in the rig and
find two fried resistors - do the fix and still nothing from the RX Ant.  It
did come on intermittently, so I guess it is the relay.  No replacement,
so....Nuts!

Had fun on Friday/Sat night till about 3:30AM on 160 and 80 anyways.
Then on Saturday afternoon the power goes out for a couple of hours during the
EU opening on 10/15M, so missed that.

So I went and watched a movie with the XYL Saturday night.  Guess I missed good
160/80, but was too bummed out.  I my frustration I didn't even try 40m, which I
hear was great.

Hopefully I'll have the KD9SV reed relay RX Ant protection circuit installed
for next week's ARRL 160.  Should be well rested anyway.
Contests are great for finding the weak points in your station.  Mine is mostly
between the ears. Hi.

Thanks for the Qs and N1MM worked great as always.  Good work guys.
73
Jeff, VE3CV