[3830] CQWW CW T70A(9A3A/E73A) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 30 08:29:52 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: T70A
Operator(s): 9A3A/E73A
Station: T70A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: San Marino

  160:  504    14       60
   80: 1473    23       85
   40: 1364    30       92
   20: 1302    28       87
   15: 1240    26       94
   10:   54    14       31

It was great to be back, even with limited aluminium resources. My first
serious effort after the 2001 in CQ WW CW. An opportunity to operate from the
T70A club station could not be neglected, so I even took out C4A SO2R gadgets
stored for many years, in order to compensate, if possible, for the modest
antenna setup. The plan included installing the F12 4 EL 15/10m yagi because
SSB operation reports were indicating on poor performance of the LP on 15 and
especially 10m. I am happy to have made this trip and wish to thank T70A
members for letting me use their nice club station. Special thanks to Paolo,
IK7UXW for erecting a few extra antennas in the rain and also to his XYL
Sabrina for keeping my family busy elsewhere in San Marino.

Highlights:

1.	An opportunity to operate from a rare country (again). I am happy to have
made this trip, having family focus on tourism and my on pile ups.  There is a
lot of place for improvement.
2.	Low bands.  I was surprised with the performance of the quarter wave
verticals, as well as short 160m radiator (under 20m I think). A rare prefix
helps for sure, but you must be also heard on the other side.
3.	Stamina. Despite the fact I drove to T7 and did not have an opportunity to
get any sleep before the contest, I managed to stay awake and pretty well
focused. That was my wish, but I did not think it would happen. No major
crisis, perhaps due to the fact there was no comfortable bed anyway.

Lowlights

1.	Under the average db per band setup and low height. I think that my total
antenna db gain was under the single band gain of some other SOAB contenders.
For serious effort one must not waste time in calling multipliers. I had no
prior experience with the antenna performance, but when I realized that I have
to call many times, with no guarantee to log a double multiplier, I had to give
reduce S/P and change strategy, which has resulted in a very low multiplier
score.
2.	Interference on R2, limiting SO2R usage a lot. Only with a interference-free
SO2R setup one can enjoy using it simultaneously when running a pile up.
3.	Lost two and a half hours due to the electrical line repair on Saturday
morning. Nobody can remember it ever happened before at the T70A remote site.
4.	69 dupes, some of which had comments “no, we did not work before”. This
indicates possibility of (some) fake QSOs due to the fact that another station
“parked” on the same or near frequency and at some point it indeed looked
as if they responded to me. An issue that may be looked differently from the
log-checking perspective, because if I get called, respond to the station with
the report and the station gats back with “599 5” it is close to impossible
to assume that response was to somebody else, not to me. Current log checking
procedure will reduce three QSOs due to “not in log” scenario, although it
is a different one for the case I assumed somebody did copy my call and logged
QSO.