[3830] CaQP ND0C SOFixed QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Oct 3 15:30:34 PDT 2010

                    California QSO Party

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: SOFixed QRP
QTH: Minnesota

  160:    0      0
   80:   30     17
   40:   54     33
   20:   88    122
   15:   11      1
--------------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

I had hoped to get another clean sweep and beat last year's score, but that was
not to be.  Conditions were pretty good on Saturday, but 20 was very noisy -
QRN and of course splatter everywhere.  15 only gave me a brief opening - more
or less.  I was really dubious about how 40 and 80 were going to be, but they
were actually quite good considering my power level and antenna situation.
Surprisingly the noise level wasn't too bad, but I did have to give quite a few
repeats, especially early in evening on 40.

Sunday was really a struggle.  20 was long again and I was having trouble
beating out Europeans for QSOs.  Around mid-day, I had worked everything I was
hearing and couldn't really get any runs going - 20 was too flakey.  Normally I
have a pretty good path to CA, but Sunday was really tough.  The QSB on 20 was
nasty.  And 15 never really opened - at least between here and CA - I think it
was just way too long.  I could hear a few CA stations but they couldn't hear
me.

I never heard a single station from Merced or San Francisco.  If they were
running I sure missed them.  Maybe they were just S&Ping, which makes it tough
to find 'em!  I did have a couple little runs on Saturday afternoon and scared
up some good mults then giving me 50 mults after 6 hours of operating.  I
finally worked Humboldt with about 35 minutes left, and then got a 2nd one with
2 minutes left.  But still - no sweep!  :-(

This is the undisputed king of the state QSO parties and I really enjoy it -
after all these years (always QRP).  Thanks to all the great ops (and ears) out
there.

Station: Yaesu FT 897D running 5 watts to 3 el tribander (Wilson SY 3) at 48
feet and tuned inverted vee with apex at 45 feet.

73,
Randy, ND0C

"You don't have to be crazy to run QRP... but it helps!"