[3830] ARRL UHF N1PRW Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Aug 8 07:03:22 PDT 2011

                    ARRL UHF Contest

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: NH

  222:   4     3
  432:  12     4
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  48     7  Total Score = 336

Hampshire.

Station Equipment

- Yaesu FT-817ND
- Elk 2M/440L5 portable log periodic antenna
- 8' Tripod
- 12V gel-cell battery

- Icom IC-3AT 220 MHz HT

Max power: 5 Watts

I returned to Pack Monadnock for a short afternoon with my standard FT-817ND
QRP kit. The summit was a few degrees cooler, though humid and lost in hazy
skies. Weather remained dry until 2200 UTC when light rain began to fall.

I brought a non-ham friend to the Pack Monadnock summit on Saturday afternoon.
Within a few minutes of arrival at the summit it was clear there was an
situation involving two lost teenagers who had wandered from their family so we
asked police if they needed help. They were short of personnel so we walked the
trails with other volunteers near the summit in the search effort. The lost
boys were found within the hour, so we returned to setting up.

My Yaesu kit doesn't have 220 MHz so I brought a IC-3AT just in case I found a
way to use it despite it being an FM transceiver with a rubber antenna. I
actually made 4 Qs with it on 223.5 MHz FM picking up 3 grids in the band.
Definitely worthwhile. I'll bring 220 FM to the September VHF.

432 was going well and I was able to work FN22. Almost all Qs made by calling
CQ and letting them find me. After the summit closed I set up again at the
Miller State Park base lot. The base lot has a good shot to the west so I
thought I'd make an effort while the band seemed hot. Light drizzle had started
to fall. No Qs were made.

I had expected poor results given my low power and band limitations. My
expectations were exceeded with 16 Qs. Equipment worked perfectly. FM on 220
proved much better than nothing. I should consider a light rover effort next
year between FN42 and FN32.

Photos:
http://shawsheen.com/2011/arrluhf/

Thanks to all, and also thanks if you tried for the FM Q on 220.