[3830] EUHF Champ LY9A Mixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Aug 8 07:03:48 PDT 2011

                    European HF Championship

Call: LY9A
Operator(s): LY9A
Station: LY9A

Class: Mixed LP
QTH: Birzai
Operating Time (hrs): 11h37

  160:   93     13     49
   80:  220     34     59
   40:  230     44     57
   20:  128     28     46
   15:  130     11     46
   10:  126     38     50
---------------------------
Total:  927    168    307  Total Score = 336,165

Club: Kaunas Univ of Tech Radio Club

Comments:

FT-1000MP + dipoles.

  This year I did not intend to compete very seriously. I just set my goal of
1000 QSO using wire antennas and 100 W.
There was only 80m dipole antenna hanging up until late Friday evening and I
still had to do hard work on Saturday morning making 160m dipole from zero,
lifting up all 5 remaining wire antennas (some of them finaly got shape of Inv
Vee, some of slopers), drilling holes in the wall for bringing feedlines to
shack, making lot of soldering etc. Sure, I was short of time and started
contesting at only 12:23 without of any rig and antennas test. Shortly I've
discovered very high noise on high bands, especially on 20m (constant S9), but
there was no time to make any research to locate the source of it. I was
thinking that some water pomp or other similar devices at my hours or at my
neighbours may make this problem. I simply dived in to the Contest for the next
12.5 hours.
   You can imagine my feeling on Sunday evening when I located the source of
the problem which costed me a number of QSO's and Mults on 20, 15 and 10M! The
small 5 Volts stabiliser in my SO2R box made all that  nasty noise!

Some 24 hours before start of the Contest I've send message to Robert S57AW
which contained following words:
"For me is very sad to hear that cluster was allowed for SO. My opinion is very
strict - using of cluster, skimmers is the help from other persons and not
compatible with definition of Single Operator.
I guess this EU HF will be my last one. Sri. Only club competition and national
competition drives me to enter contest where packet is allowed for SO.
Same with RDXC. The next RDXC (2012) will be my last one. Decision is taken
already.-------------
Other contesters may have different opinion of course."

Sri, but my experience in this EU HF Championship just confirms my decision
I've made earlier.
We do not need to put up an aluminium or buy expensive radios to play computer
games.
Producers should think now of making radios without of tuning knob at all, I
think.

After 12 hours I spend looking at the computer screen following spots, I feel
myself very bad about the future of contesting. My eyes still burning and I'm
really in doubt of putting my Yagi's up.

73! Gedas LY9A