[3830] CQ160 CW WI9WI Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Feb 1 11:10:35 PST 2011

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WI

Total:  QSOs = 525  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 24  Total Score = 113,760

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

We went up to the cabin Friday evening for this one (much better antennas there
than at home in Madison), arriving about 0130Z after the 4.5 hour drive. It was
a relatively balmy 28 deg F (-3 C) inside when we got there. After unloading the
car, starting a fire and setting up the radio I was on the air about 0315Z, and
the temp was already up to about 48 deg F (9 C). I operated about 5 hours
before calling it quits. Major problems initially included a non functional
inverted L, and nonfunctional receiving antennas. I chased down the receive
antenna problem to a loose connector indoors after an hour or so, but the
transmit antenna problem seemed to be outside at the base of the tower and I
didn't feel like wading through 100 meters of thigh deep snow in the dark so I
left that problem until Saturday morning. I was left with a low (20 m apex, 10
m ends) full sized inverted V as a transmit antenna for Friday night. It works
real well for NA contacts, but not so well for DX. Many DX stations CQd in my
face, though I managed to work a few. Saturday I traced the vertical problem to
a broken wire in the feedline choke  at the base of the antenna, and replaced
it. I operated another 8.5 hours Saturday night and was able to work more
europeans with the L operational than I could on Friday night. There were still
many fairly loud europeans who couldn't hear me, but this is the usual case in
the far northern reaches of Wisconsin. I probably heard 20 or so DX multipliers
that I couldn't work. Missed KH6 (never heard), and ND and ID (both heard Fri
nite, but not Sat), for WAS. I didn't stay up for the usual early AM opening to
VK/ZL, JA and the Pacific. Too tired and not motivated. Conditions were very
quiet on Saturday, I worked a few europeans just before my sunset which is
unusual. Usually I can't even hear them or work them until later in the night.
Even the L was quiet on receive early in the evening.  Friday  was noisier.

Gear: K-3, AL-82 at about 1000 W. Transmit: Inverted L with 80 ft vertical, and
low full sized dipole. Receive: 3 short beverages (300-500 ft.), K9AY loops.

Thanks for all the contacts.

73

Jim
WI9WI