[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KA1ZE/3(@W3XTT) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jan 25 04:46:42 PST 2011

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: KA1ZE/3
Operator(s): KA1ZE
Station: W3XTT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN01xt
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  301    56  Total Score = 16,856

Club: Murgas ARC

Comments:

Conditions were typical for a January test. I observed no openings that were not
normal tropospheric scatter...

FN01xt is a a good location with active grids around the compass. I am 400Km
from the hot bed of activity on the coast. This has been a blessing and a
curse. Where do I point my flashlight? I made antenna changes this summer that
really paid off. My old farm was a single 2M5wl @ 160 feet. It worked very well
for finding new multipliers. I have added 2 more 144 antennas to the farm. They
are stacks of 4 high YU7EF 5 element yagis. Both are mounted on rotate-able
side mounts on the tower. I split my power between 2 of my antennas creating a
bigger presence on the band. The result speaks for itself. This year my grid
total was the same as it was last year but the number of QSOs  doubled, 152 to
301....

My receiving equipment remains the same. Linrad software with WSE hardware. I
have the ability to receive two channels at the same time. His software
combines the signals from both antennas automatically selecting the best signal
in my headphones. This software also has the best noise blanking system that I
have ever used...

Joe, K9MRI, re-taught me an old lesson this year. We all know that CW gets
through the tough conditions better that SSB. I was struggling to dig Joe's
call out of the splatter + noise. He was only running 10 watts from a distance
of 620 Km. Joe whistled his call in the mike and was Q5...

Thanks to all that participated..