[3830] BARTG Sprint AB1J Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jan 25 06:26:39 PST 2011

                    BARTG RTTY Sprint

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA

-----------------

Casual operation to do MMTTY profile experiments
for the WPX RTTY in February.  I did as much SWLing as
operating.  For the first time ever I was hoping
for weak signals and lots of QRM.  When I found a weak
signal, I'd try to work them and then stick around and
copy them for a while.  Everyone spread
out sensibly so there wasn't much QRM.

I compared my own home-rolled profile (IIR, BPF
Tap=256 and FW=80, Oversampling and Ignore Framing
Errors) to the AA6YQ-FIR-512 profile by
running two MMTTY instances side by side.

My profile was much easier to tune. Otherwise I could
not tell any significant difference between the two.
No doubt FIR-512 is better on a test bench, but
it's hard to prove that out in the real world.

I'll go on tweaking my profile but it's difficult to do
tests with no sun spots and so little activity. I think
the only other RTTY contest between now and the WPX is
the XE RTTY, so I'll show the flag there.  Sometimes I
think that if it weren't for contests, I'd hardly be
doing any operating at all.

I hope to see everyone in the WPX RTTY.  Keep warm.

73,
Kermit, AB1J