[3830] CQ160 CW WD5COV Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jan 31 10:51:29 PST 2011

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WD5COV
Operator(s): WD5COV
Station: WD5COV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: New Mexico

Total:  QSOs = 1011  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 64  Total Score = 432,099

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I had hoped to have my beverages installed for the contest this year, but other
things kept taking priority. This year I opted to run barefoot (LP).
Fortunately, my location is good and the four square array "hears" really well.
I learned from last year to switch directions continuosly as many received
signals would be unreadable with the array pointed in the opposite direction.
This year I learned that its also much harder to hold a frequency running
barefoot! Many times with the antenna pointed to the NE for EU, or NW for JA,
stations from the opposite direction would try to occupy my frequency. I would
have to switch back to say "hey I'm QRL here" Most of the ops were gracious but
a few tried to "over power" me and force me away.

The first night was perhaps a bit below average from what I expected. When I
worked K1DG at 23:13 in Maine, still in broad daylight here, I thought it would
be a good night. I did manage to work all states the first night and a total of
34 VE stations. The band never really opened to Europe that well and only
worked 20 EU stations. I was also only to log 9 JA stations. With these
conditions I caught myself falling asleep several times!!

Then came day 2!!! I had wondered how well I would be heard in EU and JA
running only 150 watts. But the old saying, "if you can hear them you can work
them" was so true. All the sudden about 04:30Z the band opened up to Europe. It
was if someone had cast a giant spot light on us here. I was amazed what you can
do with no real RX antenna system (beverages) and amplifier! We here in the
southwest enjoyed a turely great opening. I ran as many EU stations as
possible. I logged an additional 72 EU stations. I worked my last EU contact at
08:05. Then it was time to point NW to JA land. JA8FKO was my first logged
contact at 08:34Z. Early to work JA from here. It was a good sign. I logged 46
more JA stations on night 2.

Usually from here on Top Band there are more JA stations logged then EU
stations, but this year the results were reversed. I did not use the SW
direction much and as a result did not log a ZL or VK station. I also could
have tried harder to log more SA stations.

In the end I logged 92 EU stations, 55 JA stations, 47 VE stations, and approx
40 other DX stations logged from SA, Caribbean, Central America, Pacific, and
Asia. I missed working four Canadian Prov.(LB,NWT,YT,NU)

By next contest season I will definately have my RX array up and running. I
plan to run QRP in the next contest for yet a bigger challenge.

Thanks to all the stations I was able to log and to all those who called in. I
hope everyone had as much fun as I did. CU next year!

73 Dave WD5COV