[3830] TBDC NO3M Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jun 19 11:57:22 PDT 2011

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: NO3M
Operator(s): NO3M
Station: NO3M

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WPA

Total:  QSOs = 94  Total Score = 412

Another 160 'test for the books!  This came at a good time in the season as I've
done multiple upgrades on the beverages and switching system and other than AM
BC stations, there's been sparse 160 activity to really get an idea what
difference the changes have made.  It's also beneficial, though not as far as
dealing with QSOs, that QRN was relatively high, as it really exposes how
directional and useful a particular antenna will be to "cut-through" the noise.
 It also gave me a chance to test TX to RX antenna isolation for single-band
SO2R.  I was able to get within 500Hz of my own 1.5kW signal on the second
radio without detrimental interference on most beverages; at one time, I even
listened to N6RO 2kHz up while CQing in the early morning with very little
indication of my own signal on the band.

I'm relieved to hear others in the east comment on high QRN levels to the west.
 I though perhaps something was terribly wrong with the new 1000 ft phased pair,
ie. common mode leakage, coax/connector water infiltration, etc., but it appears
to be on account of conditions.  I think a broadside pair would have been better
than the end-fire array to deal with the elevated QRN.  A big thanks goes out to
those west stations that stuck in there to get the exchange through, notably
N6ZFO, WI7N; I must have had these guys repeat their grid a couple dozen times,
but eventually dips in QRN let enough through to piece things together and get
the info, repeat it, and receive the QSL back.  I can usually copy ZFO/Bill
running LP in NS, but with summer QRN, it's tough.  N6RO and K7CA were the west
beacons, at times peaking well above noise.

9 stations were worked to the west, several within a short window around 0800Z,
but then things went dry until my last QSO with N4QA after 0900Z.  He was not in
the 'test, but was gracious enough to give his grid and we had a nice QSO to
wrap up the morning.

DX included KV4FZ, G3JMJ, G4AMT, PY1NB.  Based on these stations, it surely
wasn't conditions keeping DX activity low; they were all easy copy.

I agree with other's comments, it would be great to see this summer session
continued.  Despite low activity and rough conditions to the west, I had been
looking forward to this one and had a fun time.  As has been echoed in the
past, this contest is a real leveler, with points based on distance and power
levels vs. the east corridor advantage to EU.  With time, I would hope both
sessions gain the popularity this contest really deserves.

Thanks to all for the QSOs!  Hope to catch everyone on 160 this winter!

73 - Eric NO3M