[3830] ARRLDX SSB ZL3IO SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 7 00:59:40 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: ZL3IO
Operator(s): ZL3IO
Station: ZL3IO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Waimarama Heights

   80:    9     9
Total: 2397   205  Total Score = 1,463,085

I took part as a field day station from our new elevated section. The site is on
the East costs of the North Island, 300m asl with great view over the ocean to
North America.
All antennas were installed on the cliff with some local help. The shack was a
tent, power from a 3 kW Honda generator. Still some antenna work to do during
the first hours so only interrupted operation.
Than the weather changed with strong winds (100 km/h), rain and cold.
The wind showed me the weaknesses of my antennas and damaged the 10m feeding
system before I even made my first contact.

But I was busy with the other bands...

On our local Sunday morning my daughter came for her first contest activity.
She is 15yrs and got her call ZL2GQ only recently. I was hoping that the conds
on 15m would allow her to enjoy some QSO's. My idea was 100-200 QSO's to train
her a bit and probably let her run her first pile up. She made a great job
running 700 Q's in 6 hours. And conds and location helped for sure.

I did not spend much time on 20m as I wanted to check mainly 40/15/10m and
check antennas. Seems they are working... The second night I had to lower the
crank up tower with the 40m hexbeam due to the extreme winds. So the antenna
was back to 5m height but standing on the cliff and the area sloping steep down
for about 200m helped allowed for almost 600 Q's.
Monday morning (in ZL, we are UTC +13h) brought 15m backThe second day of the
contest was for me and I enjoyed the huge pile ups on 15m. By checking 10m I
spotted a busy band. Against all reason I "alone" lowered the beam, repaired it
and got it back on the mast. This was bloody dangerous for the beam and myself
but I made it and the last 4 contest hours I spent on 10m with a huge run of
700 Q's.

Thank you for the nice pile ups.
I was freezing, my tent was blown away twice but your calls gave me one of the
best contest weekends I had!

73 Holger, ZL3IO