[3830] ARRLDX SSB KL7RA M/M HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 7 01:00:18 PST 2011

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): AL1G AL2F AL7IF KA2NCN KL2HF KL7RA
Station: KL7RA

Class: M/M HP
QTH: ALASKA

  160:   26     7
   20: 1617    58
   15: 2540    59
Total: 5659   232  Total Score = 3,867,672

Very happy ten meters blew open for us with some nice rates. Not so happy we
apparently exchanged 160 and 80 for it. Couldn't get anything going on those
bands and several mentioned how weak we were when they did hear us. Exact same
station as it was for the CW where we had great rates on those bands.

All the band seemed to be unstable at times often with hours of no rate only to
start again full blast. Went all Saturday night calling on three bands(off and
on) for six Q's. Daylight finally saved us from our misery and the 15 meter
band made six Q's in the first minute. This is normal and almost expected when
we operated for 32 years from Fairbanks on 80 and 160 but I have not see these
kind of conditions in Kenai since moving the station in 2005.

Two new team members joined us. Corliss, AL1G who would generate four spots
every time she took over a position and Jeff, KL2HD who operated his first
multi-op contest and was the "new guy". He made those six Q's all night but it
was six we wouldn't of  had otherwise. 15 was the rate band this time and Dave,
KA1KCN and Kris, AL2F did the partner mode using two 15 meter stacks on separate
towers to run as fast as they could as long as it would last.

Wigi, AL7IF cooked our normal Kenai Red Salmon fish dinner for the post
contest debrief but we were thinking we should really have the traditional
Fairbanks Fishsticks as we often thought we had time shifted back to those
days. Still a lot of fun. WPX up next.

73 Rich KL7RA