[3830] SS SSB VY2ZM(K1ZM) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 21 11:41:21 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): K1ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PEI

   20: 1052

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This was fun but a totally different operating strategy was required to beat
last year's numbers.

Congrats to N9RV on posting a great score as always.  As before, this contest
becomes one of trying to claw your way back after a start that ALWAYS lags the
West coast superstations.  (It is just not possible to match the high band
rates from out here that are available at the start to the Western regions of
the USA).

ALthough I had a good start, at 0755z when Pat called me, I was at 1303 and he
was at 1387 - a perfect example of how this goes.

During the day on Sunday, we have a chance (with luck) to narrow the gap and I
managed this as at 2321z I was at 2156 and Pat was at 2168.

>From there, it is a dash to the end and when the higher bands die out here, you
just cannot keep up - which Pat used to stretch it out once again to finish
ahead by some 28 QSO's.

Personally, I am delighted to have bested last year's score - and to have kept
it this close.  Once again, it was fun to try to keep up with the TOP DAWG's in
this one.  CW SS was the same and SSB was about as expected - now it's time for
WW CW.  CU all in that one I hope SOAB.

73 JEFF K1ZM/VY2ZM