[3830] SS SSB NR5M Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 21 11:47:05 PST 2011

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: NR5M
Operator(s): NR5M
Station: NR5M

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Hempstead, Texas

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

The station performed flawlessly. The operator made a few mistakes however!

Started on 15 after much deliberation and had a passible 139 hour.  I always
feel like I have too many marbles in my mouth for the first 10 minutes or so
and I never seem to be able to reach my goal in this contest of 160.  Did
manage to average 124/hr over the first 6 hours.

Moved to 10 @ 2200 but it was generally disappointing and I found myself on 20
at 2300.  Stayed on 20 a little too long and had a 74 hour rate as I switched
to 40 a little too late(Mistake #1 = -30 Q's).

More 100+ hours on 40 and as the rate dropped to 84 in the 0600 hour (and
incorrectly dreaming of 100+ hours on the high bands the next day I stopped a
little after 0700 to take time off (Mistake #2 = -40/-60 Q's).

Sunday was a trial.  I know rates slow way down on the second day but I really
expected 10 to play fast and furiously for at least several hours on Sunday
(Mistake #3 - really part of mistake #2) and I didn't want to be sitting on the
sidelines taking required time off when 10 was hopping.

I watched and sampled the band over and over on Sunday but never saw or heard
the opening on 10 that I had hoped for.

So...bottom line...I had a strategy that was flawed.  10 did NOT play from
South Texas up to my expectations! What a disappointment!

I must say, however, that I had a blast in SS -- as usual. And now I have a
whole year to devise a better strategy for next year!

Thanks to all for the Q's.  Especially those that give me contact #1 or #2 late
in the contest.  I never tire of being a sweepstakes tutor on Sunday afternoon!

George NR5M