[3830] CQWW CW KH7M(N5ZO) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 29 05:16:23 PST 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KH7M
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: KH6ZM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Volcano, HI

  160:   79    10        9
   80:  332    20       20
   40: 1005    30       60
   20:  688    30       70
   15: 1051    35       64
   10: 1107    33       79

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my 1st CQ WW from Oceania and the contest is always a blast from
anywhere in the world.  It is always interesting to operate from different
locations  and to learn the propagation challenges.  It was tough to work
Europe, openings being relatively short and almost simultaneous across all
bands, so it was hard to decide where to be for those.  Curiously (for me at
least) 10 m LP was much better than 15 m LP to EU, and that shows in my country
mults.  20 m SP opening to Europe over the North Pole was really hard with lots
of flutter and real difficulty on copying.

I brought with me Hamation band-pass filters and continued my experiment with
SO2R.  I clearly feel progressing with it, but I was still using 2nd radio
mainly for quick QSY of mult or occasional 2nd radio multiplier QSO only.  Btw,
those filters really worked great.  I had 15 m and 10 m monobanders in same
tower very close to each other and I could not hear the other transmitter at
all.  This without any stubs at the station.

The station Max has put together played flawlessly except for a computer
problem with N1MM+WinKeyer which I brought and introduced to station.  I had to
reboot the PC quite a few times during the contest, but fortunately the PC came
up pretty fast each time.  I operated full 48 hrs otherwise, and did quite OK
all the way until Sunday morning after sunrise, when I knew I was not coherent
for some time.  But I was too afraid to take a nap at that point and I knew I
would eventually get through it and be able to race to the end.  (One always
gets that last energy boost for last few hours.)  It was nice to start the
contest at 2 pm in Hawaii, after sleep in on Friday morning, huge difference to
e.g. Europe where one starts at midnite or so.

Hats of to NH2T for stunning score from Oceania, and thanks for him to return
to 160 m for 2nd effort on the QSO there, which then worked out for a double
mult.

Thanks for Max and Kathy for great hospitality and gourmet authentic Italian
dining during my stay.  It was great place to operate from zone 31, my 18th
zone in CQ WW.  I hope to be back to Hawaii for some other contest in the
future.
73 de Marko N5ZO