[3830] ARRL Sep VHF WA2FGK(K2LNS) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Sep 12 12:48:59 PDT 2011

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: WA2FGK
Operator(s): K2LNS
Station: WA2FGK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:   46    22
  2.3:   32    16
  3.4:   24    11
  5.7:   14     9
  10G:   15     9
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  711   242  Total Score = 323,554

You would think I would start getting sick of operating VHF contests after doing
so since 1957. OMG It can't be. From the days of the Gonset Communicator, to
hearing signals from 300 miles away on 10 ghz. I still get a warm feeling when
I speak with guys in contests, that I have never ever seen in person, but have
spoke to for 50 years. What a terrific community we have.
Hats off to the rovers who spend countless hours preparing for these contests.
Needless to say the expense is staggering. I truly appreciate their efforts.
This contest is a grindout and the biggest thing is to stay alert. You never
know when the next CQ will bring you not only a contact, but also a completion
of perhaps ten contacts and upwards to more than ten thousand points.
Our system ran beautifully, except for one problem which cost me an hour on
Sunday morning. The Lunar Link amp on 222 smoked a high powered relay. It took
me an hour to get another latching relay assembled and hooked up.
Conditions were normal for this time of the year. I did see some big signals
from some areas but it did nothing to enhance further contacts and scores.
One highlite was catching the quick Aurora on Saturday about 5 pm. I worked a
few nice grids that were not workable without.
My score was down a bit from last years, since I spent no preparation for
skeding other than a few rovers. I changed the station around and did not have
time to work any EME. Digital modes worked well on Sunday early morning but was
disappointed in the lack of activity.
That's it from Bear Creek, Pa. Hopefully I will be able to operate in the
January contest this year. Last year the ice on my antennas got me good
See you all in January and thanks for the Q's
Herb at WA2FGK