[3830] ARRL 10 K1VK SO Mixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 10 16:13:59 EST 2012

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K1VK
Operator(s): K1VK
Station: K1VK

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: EMA

   CW:  159    66
  SSB:  100    49
-------------------
Total:  259   836  Total Score = 87,780

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This is my second attempt at contesting.  I’m getting more comfortable with
N1MM even though I have not yet programmed any function keys.  That will come
later.  I tried to do some running, but with 100 watts it doesn’t work.  I
got 0 responses when I called, so back to search and pounce.  I knew the 10
meter band was interesting.  On Friday night there was an opening to only W9
and W0.  On Saturday the bands were poor, but Sunday was a distinct
improvement.  One interesting note was that I worked several stations that
recorded S0 on the signal strength meter.  That was a new observation for me.
That is probably due to the low noise in my area.  It wasn’t always that way.
 I spent several evenings this fall going around the neighborhood finding street
lights that were out and reporting them to the town Dept. of Public Works.  The
worst offenders were the ones that flicker.  Also, before the contest I went
around the house unplugging all the wall warts (to the consternation of the
rest of the family).  Everyone has to sacrifice something for the contest.