[3830] ARRL 10 W0AIH M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 10 22:46:58 EST 2012

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W0AIH
Operator(s): NE9U, KB9S
Station: W0AIH

Class: M/S HP
QTH: WI

   CW:  813   111
  SSB:  474    78
-------------------
Total: 1287   189  Total Score = 777,168

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

NE9U had tickets to take his family to snowy Lambeau Field to watch the Green
Bay Packers on Sunday, so a FT single Op effort was out the window this year
for him.  KB9S joined in for a tag team M/S operation.  SO1R with no spotting
station, kind of a low key but FUN effort this year by the two of us.  NE9U
took day one and KB9S had day two.
The 10 meter contest is always my favorite.  Even with bad conditions, you
never know what to expect!
The contest started out with the best hour of all....142...mostly to SE USA.
KB9S also had a good hour 1 of day two with a 135, again mainly to SE and
Eastern USA.
A couple DX hi-lites for NE9U was being called LP Saturday morning by an A45
and two Ja's.
KB9S reported s9 snow static on all the antennas for a few hours late Sunday
which put a dent in those hours.
A funny "you gotta know Paul" episode happened Saturday morning.  Our two money
antennas in this contest are the 4x4x4x4 stack and the 5 element yagi at 200
feet.  The Yagi sits atop the 40 meter stack and is offset -90 degrees and is
usually controlled by the 40 meter control box at the 40 meter position.
Well, Paul put in to use a spare control box so we would have a control box at
the 10 meter position.  However, we apparently had a problem where the control
box indicated the rotor stopped, but it kept spinning both the 40 and 10 meter
yagi's until the coax ripped away from antennas.  Not good.
We talked about it and really only needed the 40 meter Yagi back in service by
ARRL DX CW in February, and we could live without the 200 foot 10 meter Yagi
until then too. ( we have the 4x4x4x4 stack, and Rhombics in all directions).
So that was settled. Or so I thought.   Wisconsin weather in December isn't
balmy...and a snow storm was on the way.
About 11:00 AM Saturday morning, Paul comes bounding into the the Chalet.
"They are both fixed!!!"  Paul had spent his morning at 200 feet with a torch
fixing everything!!!  And that 200 footer sure came in handy the rest of the
way.

Here is our continent report:

USA       988
VE        30