[3830] TBDC KL7RA Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 30 19:23:56 EST 2012

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): KL7RA
Station: KL7RA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Alaska

Total:  QSOs = 239  Total Score = 2,251

Never schedule a travel day right before the contest. Missed all my connections
and got home too late for the sunrise Europe peak. Band sounded very good and
stations I called could hear me this year very early after our sunset. Missed
the 0500z Europe run to go back to the airport to get missing luggage. JA's
were very loud and easy to work but not very much activity. I didn't get the
east coast sunrise pileup which can be fun and good for a 100 Q's but the
stations calling that were very weak became readable after a few "overs" and
all coming in on the right Beverages. For awhile the band was packed with very
loud stations, (all dupes!) but by 1200z it was fading quickly so I quit
early this year as the previous 24 hours of flying or stuck in airports
sucked the fun out of it. N2IC and N5RZ were by far the most consistent
and loud running stations. Steve installed a new transmit and Gator put up
a new 8 circle receive. Both new systems worked to/from KL7.

Note to W7DRA, keep doing what you just did as I didn't have to chase
you with the RIT this year for the QSO. Using old gear on topband is
extra cool.

73 Rich KL7RA     -- now completely rested I would like to try this all again!