[3830] ARRLDX CW ZF2AM(K6AM) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 20 07:44:50 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: ZF2AM
Operator(s): K6AM
Station: ZF2AM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Cayman Is.

   40: 1268    59
   20: 1372    59
   15: 1660    59
   10: 1003    59
-------------------
Total: 6568   353  Total Score = 6,955,512

Club: Cayman Amateur Radio Society

Comments:

2012 seemed like a replay of 2011.  Band and overall totals were only a bit
higher but the spread was about the same.  Conditions were pretty good overall.
 15 opened early and stayed late with lots of big signals.  10 got going a bit
late and was done well before sundown, but produced some nice runs in the
middle of the day even though signals were weaker. 160 and 80 had some nasty
tropical static crashes but still played well with the help of 2 el on each
band and a nice little beverage.

The station has never been in better shape.  We fixed the last antenna problem
Thursday morning when I found a trap installed backwards on the Pro57
tribander.  Still got more to fix in the coming week, but the critical stuff
worked great.

I liken this contest to a colonosopy.  When you wake up after 12 hours on
Monday morning, you know you just went through a major stressful event but
can't seem to remember any of the details or the pain.  The whole thing was
just a blur that went by very fast.

Given that as we get older the vast majority of single ops operate less than 36
hours, and only a very few more than 44, it's time to make this a 36 hour
contest for all single ops.  I bet a lot more of you guys would go the distance
if you thought you could make it to the end.  The activity lost from the few
current 40 hour+ guys would be more than made up.  Besides, I can't do this
much longer.

A huge thanks to all the rare mults who made the QSY's.  You guys made the key
difference.  I only missed VE4 on 160, but that's just because I didn't ask
enough.

Thanks as always to Andrew and the gang at the CARS for the use of the station
again and I promose to leave it in even better shape.

CU all next week as ZF2AM in the CQWW 160 SSB and then on to PJ2T for the ARRL
SSB weekend.

73,

John, K6AM/ZF2AM