[3830] ARRLDX CW V31RR(AA4NC) SO Unlimited LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 20 07:45:56 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: V31RR
Operator(s): AA4NC
Station: V31RR

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Belize

   20: 1321    59
   15: 1297    59
Total: 4807   328  Total Score = 4,730,088

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Greetings from the land of the Maya...
We must have made the ancient sun Gods angry because conditions were down
markedly here from the past two years. Not only was the SFI down, but the low
bands were unproductive. There were several V31 stations on in this contest
which hurts the 80/160 numbers for a low power station. That said, it's still
good to get away from the winter cold to mid 80's weather in February! It's
hard to complain when you sit and run rate while watching the palm trees sway
and an occasional wishwilly or gecko crawls up the window. These guys are
entertaining, but they can't dance like the ones that sell car insurance...

I had a brief scare on Saturday morning after sleeping a few hours when I woke
to a computer with the dreaded "blue screen of death". It took a few
well-placed karate chops to bring it back to life which was a relief! This
computer has served me well in my travels, but it is a bit long in the tooth -
a 1998 model Sony laptop. That's about 187 in "dog years"!

It's still always fun to work all the stateside/VE guys in machine gun mode and
try and put a name and face to those I've met over the years.
Now it's time to play DX a bit and hit the beach. We're extending our stay this
time in order to operate the NAQP RTTY next Saturday. I'll also try to get on a
bit in the CQ160, so listen hard...

73,

Will V31RR / AA4NC

Equipment used:

Elecraft K3
Sony laptop computer (with genuine LPT port CW keying-accept no USB
imitations!

160: shortened inverted vee @ 40'
80/40: Butternut HF2V ground mounted vertical
20/15/10: 2 element quad @ 35'