[3830] ARRLDX SSB KT4ZB SO Unlimited LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 5 06:50:42 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KT4ZB
Operator(s): KT4ZB
Station: KT4ZB

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Savannah

Total: 1058   313  Total Score = 993,462

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Ham radio is just plain fun.  10m is always a treat...you can just feel when
it's trying to open to EU.  I was tuning the band and working into Chile and
pow, there was GW4BLE, 30db over, on the back of the beam calling CQ.  It may
have been the loudest signal I've ever heard on ten.  Or, when I hear this very
light, NH2T CQ on 80m and say to myself, "Oh what the heck ..."  And behold,
"KT4zed bravo, 59, kilo."  It's a magical moment.  And lastly, calling CQ late
Friday night and working a few UA's, a YO very loud, comes back saying I was
20db over and one of only three signals on 20m.

Before the contest I noticed that the solar flux was only averaging around 104
instead of a hoped 120 plus, So, I figured that my score would follow suit.
Also the horrific storms across the country couldn't but help change the
perspective on pursuing your favorite hobby.  Although Savannah was out of most
of it, we did have tornado warnings with all the county sirens screaming during
the contest on Saturday afternoon.  Shut down the station and watched the
weather reports as a reported tornado was south of us.  Overall, the contest
was typical, there is little room for a low power station in this contest. So,
most of the points were Search and Pounce with only one decent run on 15m.  15m
was the money band for me and 10m was a pleasant surprise on Sunday as there was
a short 1 to 2 hour EU opening.  It really salvaged the mult count as I expected
to drop at least 20 more.  The number of contacts were about the same as last
year, the score a little less and the multipliers down overall.  The weather
killed the low bands, although 160m was better than expected...actually
improved mults from 4 to 11.

Thanks to everyone for the Q's and cu in WPX.

Best - Jere

FT1000mp Field, TH6 DXX, wires and N1MM.