[3830] ARRLDX SSB N5DO SO Unlimited LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 5 06:51:30 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: TX

  160:    0     0
Total: 1007   328  Total Score = 989,904

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions seemed to be down a little from the CW weekend.  There was an
unusual, but welcome, opening on 20M to Europe early Saturday morning.  From
5:30 am to 6:15 am, when Europe can sometimes be heard here but they can never
hear me, propagation was great and I made 63 European QSOs.  At the same time I
was apparently only at the noise level in the Caribbean (according to John, K6AM
at PJ2T).  I don't know if the opening was there on Sunday because I woke up too
late. Even though there were a fair number of mults available on 10M, the band
did not feel open like it was in October for the CQWW tests.

One disturbing trend: more running DX stations than I ever remember before
would complete a QSO with no acknowledgment that that my exchange was received.
 So the QSO would go like this:  "XX1XX" "N5DO" "N5DO 59 K" "59 Texas" "XX1XX."
Instead of the runner going back to the running mode I would prefer some sense
that my exchange was received -- even something simple like "QSL, XX1XX" or
"Thanks, XX1XX."  Just giving the call sign leaves me wondering if my exchange
was copied or even heard (especially when I am low power).