[3830] SS CW K1LT Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 5 09:51:34 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I tried SO2R again.  I added a relay to switch the 40 meter vertical
between the main radio antenna switch and the second radio.  I added a
pair of toggle switches to switch one or both channels of the
headphone between the 2 radios.  Then, while CQing on 10, 15, or 20, I
could hunt for new stations on 40 that show up all day long on Sunday.
I worked 17 stations on the 2nd radio while losing my run frequency
only once.

North Dakota was my last section for a sweep.  I found QRP station
N7IV on 15 meters CQing late Sunday afternoon.  Prior to ND, I needed
VE6 and VE8 as well.  I found VY1EI CQing on 15 the middle of Sunday
afternoon and then worked 6 VE6s in a row by CQing on 15.  During the
last hour, a second ND called me on 40.  I worked more than one of
every section except AK, ONN, and NT.

It was very nice to see a number of 21st century check numbers.  There
were many more that I think I have seen previously.  I'm also amazed
by the number of QRP stations.  Many of them had signals that were
just as strong as higher powered stations.  Of course, many of them
didn't.

Motivation s a problem for me when conditions causes scores to
decrease.  My main goal is always to improve on my previous score, but
the last couple of years my score has decreased.  I really need to
find a competition buddy.  Any volunteers?

Equipment: K3, ETO 91B (thanks Jeff, the tubes seem happier now),
IC-765, X7 up 60 feet, 40 meter vertical, 80 meter "cage" around the
160 meter vertical.