[3830] SS CW N5WR(@K5WE) Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 6 20:06:03 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N5WR
Operator(s): N5WR
Station: K5WE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OK

K3, IC7000, N1MM, Winkeyer, Dunestar bandpass filters.
4el 20m, 2el 40m, 10/15m 4BA yagis, 80m inverted V - all about 50’, Hustler
multiband vertical.

I had to request vacation time at work in order to be free for the contest
weekend. I brought a bunch of gear over to my dad's the week before to set it
all up. I used my radios and bandpass filters, his antennas. When I tried
connecting my laptop to the radios on the day of the contest, N1MM kept losing
communication with the K3 and Windows would hang up. I didn't have time to
troubleshoot so just didn't use radio control. Winkeyer worked fine, but just
couldn't use the bandmap.

I couldn't decide which band to start the contest on, I was debating 20 vs 40
but decided to start on 15 which was a good choice and had a decent run to the
east coast for about an hour, then went to 20 for the next 2 hours. Rates the
first 4 hours were around 70 before slowing when 20 closed. I had trouble
getting much going on 80 which was disappointing. I had some success using a
simple Hustler vertical for same band SO2R on 40 and 20. I could get within
about 5khz of my signal on the K3 without it affecting me much. Had planned to
operate the first 12 hours straight, but the rate dropped to 30 in the 07Z hour
so took my break an hour earlier. Had 81 sections by then needing only KP2 and
NT.

Sunday morning conditions on 40 and 20 were decent. Thought I might have a shot
at getting near 1100 Qs if I could keep it up but the final 10 hours were quite
a struggle, averaging less than 30 Qs for the entire stretch. Got the sweep
around 19z with VY2EI on 15 meters. Seems like I squeezed just about every QSO
I could out of the bands, but might have done a bit better with better planning
of my off times. I expected a little more activity in the final couple of hours
but in hindsight should have ended earlier I guess. May try to get on some
during SS SSB in a couple of weeks. Thanks to my dad for letting me use his
station.

73, Erik N5WR