[3830] CQWW CW KR2Q SOSB/10 QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 26 09:40:50 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: SOSB/10 QRP
QTH: NNJ FN20RU

   10:  387    25      100

After hurricane Sandy crushed my main tower/antennas (see
https://picasaweb.google.com/dougzzz/HurricaneSandyOct292012 ), I was left with
my "house" tower.  So I put my 2L home brew quad at 55 feet (~18m) to use.  I
figured I would do 10 meter monoband because 10m is usually blind to "qrp"
power.

Friday night (local) I made one QSO with K1KI.

Saturday morning (local) was terrible.  My 1st QSO was at 1159z. EF8M was just
pounding in here.  He was well over S9 (way over S9) while everybody else was
S6.  Europe didn't open (not counting the few EUR Q's I made before that) until
1400z - and by 1600z it was gone.  My last QSO on Saturday was TI - a new mult -
who assured me that he was NOT qrp. Guess everybody thought I was SOAB again.
And by 2225z, the band shut down.  Oh well.  I still had hope for Sunday.

And Sunday was better.  My 1st qso was at 1206z and my last QSO was a VK double
mult at 2218z.  Europe was "good" by 1220z and lasted until 1730z.  But I did
not have the magic this time.  My best "run" was 9 QSO's on 28111 at 1315z -
1326z.  Yuck.  My best rate (S+P) was only 49/hour (full hour).

Fun stuff included working OX (well, XP3), OY, and TF.  For some reason, that
always seems like a "big deal" to me.

I missed some "easy" stuff.  I never heard Sweden.  I only worked one Finland
(the only Finland I heard)...very near the end...and just one Norway.

While calling an IS0 in a pileup (with no luck), I had OH0V call me!  New mult!
 Thanks Ben!  I never did work an IS though.  :-(

Worked lots of good African entries...missed 5H3EE (pileup to big).  Never
bothered calling the S.Shetland station, nor the TX in New Caledonia.

Kudos to G3TXF with a HUGE and consistent signal, albeit quite late in the
contest (Sunday).  And HK1NA was just "way too loud" - what an incredible
signal...all the time.  Beyond belief!!!!

So congrats to Sean, KX9X on a GREAT mono 10 qrp score.  I'm happy to have
matched his country count and just one short of his zone count.  But QSOs?
YIKES!  Check out his post at

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/3830/2012-November/264711.html

And I really enjoyed the post by KT8K.  Check out his link and YouTube video

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/3830/2012-November/264821.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWZjzrzgwA

Once I get my insurance completed, I hope to be back to full strength (well,
qrp strength) for 2013.  Lead time on the tower will put me well into Spring
2013.  Thanks to W2GD for stopping by immediately after P40L (Lima right, not
Whiskey?) to give me an appraisal.

So I ended up with 100 countries with QRP (thought I might not make it this
year) and I get to welcome a "new" QRPer to the top ranks.

Rig: Elecraft K3/10
Antenna: Home brew 2L quad at ~55 feet (using RG58 feed)

de Doug KR2Q