[3830] CQWW CW W7YAQ SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 26 17:50:14 EST 2012

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W7YAQ
Operator(s): W7YAQ
Station: W7YAQ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Sisters OR

  160:   24     9        8
   80:   66    14       21
   40:  174    29       73
   20:  305    32       95
   15:  284    31       83
   10:  211    27       56

Wow!  Lots of dial spinning!!

This was the most serious effort I have made in CQWW, as the weekend schedule
opened because we completed Thanksgiving travel to family on the previous
weekend.   I took time out Friday evening to participate in the local community
holiday tree lighting event.  Conditions overall seemed good, but not great.
There was lots of flutter on the bands for the first 18 hours.

I was anxious to try out a new shunt-feed of my tower for 160 along with 2
reversible beverages (Thanks Dick K4XU and Bob WS7N).  However, conditions did
not seem very good.  So the jury is still out until the 160 contest next
weekend.  A near highlight was a W7? response from D4C at their sunrise.  I
wonder what HK1NA uses to have that great 160 signal and good ears!   6-banders
here included HK1NA, KH6LC, KH7X, and JA3YBK.

10 meters never opened well to Europe, but 15 and 20 were in good shape.  I was
surprised at the good 40 meter opening to EU just before local sunset both days.
 My contest ended on an upbeat note with the final two QSOs being D3AA and P33W
on 40.

Thanks to all the African stations for great activity in many rare zones.
Overall, I was happy to work 125 DXCC entities in 36 zones (missing 22, 23, 34,
and 39).

Rig:  K3 100 watts
Ants: 160M shunt fed 70 foot tower, 80M inverted vee, 40M rotary Steppir
trombone dipole at 70 feet, 20-10M 3-el Steppir at 70 feet.

Thanks to the CQ folks for hosting a great event.

73,
Bob W7YAQ