[3830] TnQP W4NZ Multi-Op MobileCW LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Sep 3 13:43:32 EDT 2012

                    Tennessee QSO Party

Call: W4NZ
Operator(s): W4NZ. K0EJ, MAEGAN SPECK
Station: W4NZ

Class: Multi-Op MobileCW LP
QTH:

  160:
   80:   168                   40
   40:   821                   56
   20:   215                   36
-----------------------------------
Total:  1204    0       0     132  Total Score = 488,884

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

That was maximum fun in spite of thunderstorms, rain or solar flares. Mark K0EJ
persuaded his daughter Maegan to join our W4NZ/m team as chief navigator.  She
did a super job of keeping us on the right highway and in the right county.

The mobile setup consisted of a Chevy Astro van with 2 Hustler antennas mounted
on the roof-top luggage rack, one forward and one aft. With 2 antenna ports on
the Icom ProIII this gave us an instant band change capability. We started with
40/20m antennas and after sundown replaced 20m with 80m. A Dell laptop computer
running N1MM Logger software kept track of the QSO's.

We had pouring rain leaving Hamilton County but quickly ran out of it, ran in
and out of light rain showers most all day. Band conditions were not that great
with constantly changing skip on 20M even though European stations were pretty
consistently Q5 all day. 20m was always good for a short high-rate burst and we
worked a whole bunch of the Thursday night NS Sprint gang there-thanks!! Things
improved later in the day when 40m began to come alive. Pileups were huge at
times and we appreciate your patience as we sorted 'em out. 40M again was the
money band but there was good rate for short periods on 80M late. We did not
include an antenna for 15M this year, sorry we couldn't accomadate the QSY
requests. Maybe next time.

In the evening when we were traveling through Rhea, Meigs and Roane county
there was quite an impressive cloud-to-cloud lightening display.  Fortunately,
most of it stayed in the clouds. Our route covered about 485 miles and included
24 counties.

Most QSO'd station was AA3B with 39(!) Q's. Thanks, Bud! Others: NT2A(27),
KV8Q(26), VE3KZ(25), K8MFO(25), KN4Y(21), N1EN(21). Most often worked DX was
OE5KE.

Thanks to everyone for all the QSO's and making this so much fun.

73 and good contesting from the W4NZ/m team:

Ted W4NZ, Mark K0EJ and Maegan Speck