[3830] ARRL Sep VHF W3SO Limited Multi-Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Sep 14 17:04:14 EDT 2012

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: W3SO
Operator(s): W2GPS W3YOZ WR3Z W3BC W3TM WA3TTS W3IDT K4VV
Station: W3SO

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: WPA

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  708   185  Total Score = 172,975

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

1. Severe weather cold-front passed by just before contest start - 1" hail
reported a few miles north of our mountain top.  No apparent damage, though.
Similar cold-front with lighting kept us off the air for about an hour on
Sunday.

2. W3YOZ bought a new 222 transverter and WA3TTS brought a new 200 - 300 watt
222 amplifier. Sure helped the 222 / 432 crew do very well.

3. Reasonable, though not spectacular, tropo on 144: Worked grids from Maine
through Wisconsin (from our perch in south-western Pennsylvania).

4. Brief 50 openings to TX on Saturday afternoon and to FL Sunday morning.  A
much larger, but frustrating, opening to FL Sunday afternoon: The path seemed
to really favor W1s and W2s; we seemed to be too far west. In addition, K5QE
heard all Sunday afternoon, no other 5s could be heard or raised. Even with the
beams to the SW, the occasional FL station would respond. Was all of TX watching
NFL games?