[3830] ARRL Sep VHF WA2FGK(K2LNS) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Sep 14 16:58:55 EDT 2012

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: WA2FGK
Operator(s): K2LNS
Station: WA2FGK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN21
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:   28    14
  2.3:   12     6
  3.4:   12     6
  5.7:   10     7
  10G:    7     5
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  586   225  Total Score = 218,250

I was not going to send in this report until a friend told me I should. I could
do some complaining on why my score was lower than expected. But when I talk
and read reports from other areas, my problems are null and void. My buddy down
in EM80 struggled for 26 contacts on 144 mhz. That leaves me with no room for
complaints.
I did have a problem finding rovers, although I worked hard to find them. With
so many multi op stations in this area, perhaps I can't find a good frequency
to operate.
Two storms on Saturday with a cold front that was pulled in, really brought
signals down.
I did run into a big problem on 903 mhz. I have a new cell tower about 1,000
feet from my QTH. When turning my 4 loopers towards Canada and Western New
York, my receiver is being crunched.  After the contest, I tuned my 2 meter IF
down to 143 mhz. It seemed tons more quiet. We are going to have my transverter
changed to 144-902 output. I can always move the IF to 145 mhz to operate 903 if
needed
We did have a few nice openings on 50 mhz, both Saturday and Sunday. They were
not wide spread, but certainly gave me some new grids.
As for scatter, 50 mhz was good but when we switched to 144 mhz, bursts were
very short and very few. I only worked a few grids on 144 mhz FSK
I had very few skeds for this contest, due to equipment trouble we had to get
straightened out prior to the contest. But for those who did give me a sked, it
was much appreciated.
That's it from Bear Creek, Pa. We are almost completed with a 12 foot dish for
1296 EME. Hope to have it on the Az/El mount this coming week.
Weather permitting, I look forward to the January SS
73's Herb at WA2FGK