[3830] ARRLDX CW W4ZV SOSB/160 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 18 09:41:57 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W4ZV
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: NC

Total:  389    72  Total Score = 84,024

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

I was undecided between 10 and 160 until early in the week but a combination of
events steered me back to Topband.  In retrospect I'm very happy that happened.
 ARRL DX has become my favorite 160 contest because the band is not so cluttered
with W/VE CQers who cannot hear the DX underneath them.

Conditions were generally quiet Friday night with some periods of crackling
ionospheric noise from due North on Friday night (Aurora?).  Fortunately I
could switch from my phased 45 degree EU Beverages to a single 70 degree
Beverage which rejected that noise while still receiving Europe OK.  Around 08z
Saturday morning we had a cold front move in with some sleet which caused
precipitation static.  That cleared during the day Saturday but then we had
another round of precipitation noise from a howling snowstorm right at my 23z
sunset Saturday.  Fortunately that one didn't last but about an hour and the
remainder of the second night was quiet with the exception of occasional big
crashes from lightning off the East Coast.  Conditions seemed well down
Saturday night (or else there were not many EUs remaining that needed NC).

Special mention goes to 5 Watters YU0W and VQ5RP, and also to RT0C who
struggled with me at my exact sunrise Sunday morning.  Saturday morning I
worked JH2FXK (best JA ears award) and JA3YBK but several others on Sunday
could not copy me.  NH2T had a very nice signal both days and Dave hears
extremely well.  I also heard 9U4U working a European pileup Saturday but
didn't bother him since I didn't think he was in the contest.

Thanks to all for the QSOs and my apologies if I couldn't pull some out of the
noise.  The way this Solar Cycle is looking, I'll be back to Topband again next
year, God willing.

73,  Bill  W4ZV