[3830] IARU W1NN SO CW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 14 09:00:52 EDT 2013

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: OHIO

  160:   18     0       3       2
   80:  123     0       6       7
   40:  274     0      18      20
   20:  321     0      27      27
   15:  169     0      17      22
   10:   31     0       6       4
-------------------------------------

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

This was my first contest from home since SS CW last year.  I wasn't expecting
to operate at all but a last minute change in my schedule brought me home from
a business trip to the West Coast on Thursday night.  The station was a mess
and most of my antennas were still put away.  I had just Friday to get ready.
It was not enough to get things back to normal but I did the best I could.
Sometimes for this contest I am able to put up a small tribander for the high
bands fixed on Europe but I had no time for that this time, so all antennas
were wire dipoles.  I could only get the 20 dipole up to 40 feet but it seemed
to work pretty well.

While summer static was fortunately very minimal, conditions were overall
pretty disappointing, especially 10 and 15.  Very little EU on 15 and of course
absolutely none on 10.  20 never seemed to open completely and most of my EU
QSOs were with kilowatt stations who have good antennas.  Short skip made for
pretty good QSO totals but a large percentage of my contacts were one-pointers.

I had to take a couple of work-related phone calls Saturday evening, missing
two important hours.  So I decided to get some sleep when things slowed down at
2 AM local instead of staying in the chair like I usually do.

The WRTC test stations did a great job and most seemed to be of equal signal
strength here in Ohio.  Nice job by the organizers!

Lots of fun and looking forward to next year's IARU.

73, Hal W1NN
Medina, Ohio