[3830] IARU HH5/KC0W SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 14 09:02:46 EDT 2013

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: HH5/KC0W
Operator(s): KC0W
Station: HH5/KC0W

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: Haiti
Operating Time (hrs):

   20:   27     44
   15:   43     18
   10:   31
-------------------------------------
Total:  202     62     1        1  Total Score = 1

I knew I was in for an epic challenge by using the HH5 callsign on CW. But hey,
we are dealing with some of the best contesters in the world. If a SS5 prefix
can be copyed at 40 WPM then a HH5 prefix should present no problems to the
masses, right?

I was about to find out differently.

1. I reduced my keyer speed to 26 WPM to make the HH5 prefix "easier"
for everyone to copy.

2. I only replied to those who were calling CQ at 32+ WPM.

3. I only replied to those calling CQ's who were S9 or better.

Let the games begin:

 The overwhelming, vast majority of participants had a VERY tough time with the
HH5 prefix while it was being sent at 26 WPM. I would then reduce the keyer
speed down until accurate copy was made. The lowest I had to go was 16 WPM.
This was for a VRRY well known CW contester who was copying everyone else's
call signs at 36+ WPM. The average speed I had to QRS down to was 22 WPM.

 Usually one of two things would happen when I would get the usual (and fully
expected) "?" after I sent HH5/KC0W:

 1. I would keep reducing my speed & try attempt after attempt until good
copy was made.

2. The other guy got extremely frustrated after 8+ attempts trying to copy the
HH5 prefix (at a very reduced speeds by this point) and just start calling
CQ........There were several others who mysteriously gave up altogether &
remained silent as if stewing in their own embarrassment trying to copy me at
18 WPM. I can't reemphasize it enough........These were all GREAT CW
contesters.

Lessons learned:

 1. Don't ever, ever use a HH5 prefix in CW contests.

 2. Ignore rule #1 if you have being spotted correctly on the DX Cluster.

I'm no CW wizz myself. This is apparent by anyone who has been listening to my
3,000+ CW Q's over the last few days while DXing from here.

There is some good news though. Of the 202 CW Q's made there were several
individuals who copied the call correctly the VERY FIRST TIME at 28 WPM. The
following guys are truly the "best of the best" & hereby granted
the very, very prestigious, "Golden Ears Award".

To the following, I salute you:

AA3B
DA0HQ
IR4X
K4TD
N9RV
TM0HQ

I just used my DXing logging program in the 'test. No scoring was made.

Best to you from Haiti,

Tom HH5/KC0W