[3830] ARRLDX SSB N2RJ SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 4 22:06:42 EST 2013

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N2RJ
Operator(s): N2RJ
Station: N2RJ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NNJ

Total: 1744   330  Total Score = 1,724,580

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I like where this is going. But I am always pushing myself to go higher, so
while this is my all time best score in ARRL DX SSB, I could have done better.
I really wanted 2 meg and change but this is not too bad. My weakness is
multipliers and I have to figure out a strategy. My next weakness is sleep. I
should have done 48 hours for this test. I wanted to, but my body was not
cooperating.

A few years ago when I started dabbling in the ARRL DX contest I used to like
40 meters a lot. Now, not so much. Wall to wall and limited space. But
thankfully the high bands are yielding good results with the sunspots we have.

A couple of nice surprises were on the bands such as a few stations from
Indonesia calling me and giving me a much needed mult and the 5X station who
also gave me a mult.

Friday night was mostly S&P but 80 meters yielded a lot of good stuff. Saturday
I got on 15 where it was fantastic, then 10 for a bit. But I really got on 10
and 20 on Sunday and that helped a bit too. What was really nice was picking up
Qs and mults on 80 just before the close of the contest.

Pet peeve: WAY too many stations transmitting out of band. This includes
accidental transmissions, ignorance of one's transmitted bandwidth in relation
to the band edge and sometimes even deliberate (and unidentified)
transmissions. It's not just the newbies, but most times it's guys who have
been in the hobby for many years and who really should know better.

Not sure when my next test is. Probably WPX? Definitely something before CQWW.

73 and thanks for all the Qs.