[3830] 7QP K7ABC(K6LL) SOCW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 5 12:34:48 EDT 2013

                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: K7ABC
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SOCW HP
QTH: AZYMA
Operating Time (hrs): 10:45

----------------------------
Total:  829     0       0  Mults = 67  Total Score = 166,629

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I had planned a full-bore mixed-mode effort using special event callsign K7L,
but it was not meant to be.

In setting up for the contest on Friday, I found the SWR on my KT-34XA to be
9:1.  I did everything I could to diagnose the issue from the ground, including
replacing the lower PL-259, with no improvement.

I knew that W7WW would represent Yuma County on SSB, so I decided I would just
pass out some AZYMA's on CW, using a smaller, lower tribander.  I decided not
to use K7L to avoid a flood of QSL requests for such a puny effort.

On Saturday, I awakened two hours after the contest started and started making
some QSO's on 20 and 15 using the small antenna.  After three hours, I decided
to look at the SWR on the big antenna again, and found that it was now 1:1!  I
don't know what happened there, but I switched over to the big antenna, and it
worked fine all day.  I suspect that an oxidation film formed on the XA, and
the high power RF from the other tribander somehow burned through it.

By this time, it was not possible to revert to my previous grandiose plan, so I
stayed on CW, and had a good time just doing single-radio CW.

Maintenance on the XA will definitely be upcoming. That antenna has been up
since 1979 with zero problems up to now.

One of the three qso's on 10 was North Dakota, who answered my CQ, along with
two W1's in the NEQP.