[3830] SS CW W6PH Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 4 16:09:28 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

SO1R:      IC7000 AL1200  CT9.89 DOS
Antennas:  80m 1/4 wave sloper below 40-2CD
           40m 40-2CD at 55 feet
           20m 3el yagi homebrew 48 feet
           15m 5el yagi (N8SM design) at 55 feet
           10m A3S at 40 feet
All antennas are temporary on AB-577 masts.  They were raised on Thursday and
Friday before the SS.  They will come down Tuesday (Monday too windy).

My IC-781 which is only used about 10 days a year wouldn't turn on.  I checked
the obvious things but no dice.  So I put my VP9 IC-7000 to use and it worked
very well.  If I could keep only one radio, it would be that one.

I had a good start with 90 contacts in the first hour on 15m with very few
unanswered CQs.  That changed a bunch on Sunday where I would go several
minutes without an answer forcing a change to S&P mode to keep a 30 Q/hr
rate going.

The Sweep was very easy this year.  The only section with one contact was VE5
(thanks VE5SF).  The last section was LB and I had three answer my CQs.

A lot of OF's in the SS as evidenced by the many CKs in the 50's and 60's.  It
is better to be in the SS list instead of the SK list.

Low lights:  A lot of stations with clicks six KHz wide.  I thought it might be
my radio but there were many strong stations with very clean signals.

SS CW and Cal QSO Party are still my favorite contests.

Next venture is VP9I with WA1Z for CQWW CW.

Kurt, W6PH