[3830] SS SSB W3IDT(@W3LPL) Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 19 13:27:58 EST 2013

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W3IDT
Operator(s): W3IDT
Station: W3LPL

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Short version:
The W3LPL DX contest station contributed almost 500,000 point to PVRC in the
SSB portion of sweepstakes:

     	        raw QSO  dup QSO  Sections  Points
Miriam, K3MIM   1459     14       83        239,870
Bob,    W3IDT   1491     44       83        240,202

Longer version:
Once again, we thank Phillis for letting us invade her home on a non-dx-contest

weekend, and to Frank, W3LPL, for letting us play with his super station.

As usual,
a. We switch bands every hour or so; no one stays on the hot band very long,
tends to even our scores.
b. Run almost all the time - not concerned about multipliers; but see below.
c. Do 12 hours on, 4 hours off, 12 hours on. That way we can clean up our
detritus from the station and get home by about 10:00pm instead of midnight if
we take Sunday pm time off.

Young K3MIM went to work Monday as usual.
Older W3IDT - and retired - slept the entire day!

Few highlights:
During a brief foray to 10m, K3MIM picked off PR, VI, and two NT stations in
four consecutive qsos (using spots) for her sweep.

W3IDT was sweating the sweep - missing NL - 'till late Sunday by not following

earlier spots. Finally a very weak one called in on 40 - took many minutes to
confirm the exchange. A few minutes later another - non-contester VO1 - called,
and was talked through his 1 A exchange.

BTW, we always talk newcomers through the exchange: Good PR and may encourage
future contesters. K3MIM probably attracts more than most as a YL with a
dominating signal.