[3830] CQWW CW N1LN M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 28 02:06:00 EST 2013

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): W0UCE N4YDU N3ND WA4PSC W3US N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NC - 05

  160:   71    16       44
   80:  593    26      102
   40: 1366    36      135
   20: 1404    39      136
   15: 1720    37      142
   10: 1207    33      138

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Was that fun or what?  The bands cooperated, the weather cooperated, the
equipment cooperated and the crew.....well, OUTSTANDING as always.  Oh yes -
the food was OUTSTANDING also.  Thanks to Chef Archie.

Before the contest began we discussed goals and tried to agree on a few.

1. 6000 Qs or more
2. 100 countries on 80 to 10 meters
3. Score over 15,000,000 points
4. Most important - have fun while reaching the above 3 goals.

As you can see, we made all of our goals and then some.  One of our goals was
to welcome a new team member.  Rusty, W3US, has been out of contesting for a
few years and limited to mobile operations. Being the kind and understanding
team that we are he was allowed to start out slowly...NOT!!  His first shift
was from 0900 to noon EST on Saturday, right in the middle of the high band
openings.  Having never operated a K3 or N1MM before it was the only fair thing
to do!  After about 10 minutes he was running the pileup and logging the Qs
like
a pro and never looked back.  By his second shift, 1500 to 1800 EST he was very
comfortable like he had done this many times before. Hopefully he will now be a
full time member of our M2 CW teams.

There were many highlights of the weekend but just to name a few.

1. The 0900 UTC 20 meter openings with a few 200 QPH peaks
2. Watching Nate open 10 meters on Sunday with a 335 rate
3. Watching Jack and Dan close out the final 3 hours and maximize the Qs, band
changes and mult count to reach the 16,000,000 NEW goal.
4. NOT having any equipment issues
5. Getting called first in a pileup for a new mult before some of the BIG MM
stations.

OK, there were a couple of frustrations also.

1. N1MM networking crashed 3 times on Friday night that required shutting down
and restarting MM.  It NEVER happened again, so no clue why.
2. Not getting all 40 zones on any band. Only needed zone 39 on 20 meters to
make it.

Thanks to everyone that participated and hopefully being in our log. Thanks to
the calendar for having CQWW the weekend before Thanksgiving - which allowed us
all to participate.  How many years do we have to wait for the next time?

Equipment:

Station 1:  K3 - ACOM 2000A
Station 2:  K3 - ACOM 2000A
160 meters: 2 phased verticals
80 meters:  vertical / inverted V (the weak band)
40 meters:  2 x 2
20 meters:  4 x 4 x 4
15 meters:  5 x 5 x 5
10 meters:  T10 log x 4 ele x 3 ele