[3830] SAC SSB OH6GE M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 13 13:18:03 EDT 2013

                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, SSB

Call: OH6GE
Operator(s): OH6GE OH6KZP
Station: OH6GE

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Jakobstad

   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  242    85  Total Score = 44,030

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

My mother turned 70 this week, so the family was gathered together to celebrate
over the weekend. SAC is not to be missed, however; perhaps you can be excused
on the year of your own funeral, but the year after that you'd better be on the
air again..! So we decided to do a non-serious little M/S with my father OH6GE,
running some QSOs here and there. I also tried to offer the microphone to some
of my nephews, but although they listened to some of the action they weren't
yet quite up to doing any QSOs.

In a bit of nostalgia, I realized that it has now been almost 20 years since I
got my novice license after having been coached by my father. Likewise, it has
now been almost 20 years since we entered WPX CW together as M/S in one of my
very first contests. At the time, I worked with 30W on the bands I was allowed
on, with him taking care of the other bands.

As another nostalgic detail, we now worked part of the time with the same
TS-520 tube rig and long wire as we did in 1994, with the TCVR requiring manual
re-tuning after every band change. The other part was worked with a TS-140S and
our old trusty AL-80A amp, driving a tribander, a 40m 2-el shorty, and an 80m
dipole that were put up as the contest excitement grew with the years.

Band conditions in this contest appeared to be excellent, and it seemed that
activity was decent, too. We are submitting as M/M because of disregarding the
10-minute rule with some multi-band QSYs: since we were just semi-serious, the
main thing was to be on the air giving some points to non-Scandinavians, and
collecting points for Team Finland in the Scandinavian Cup. It was also fun to
do some S&P to answer the often lonely CQ calls of the more serious
non-Scandinavians; kudos to you for hanging in there. Congratulations to all
the top scorers!

Kim OH6KZP