[3830] NA Sprint RTTY K6UFO(@W6YX) QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 13 13:19:37 EDT 2013

                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest - October

Call: K6UFO
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: CA

---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCC Team #1

Comments:

This is a great contest, but activity seemed down, maybe
due to the Makrothen RTTY contest.

I got to the W6YX station early, where a visit from
P49X(W0YK) prodded me to hook up the second radio. It was
useful to keep calling extra CQs (without answers :)

Band conditions seemed poor, with weaker than usual signals.
I have been operating the NCCC RTTY Sprint every Thursday
night, so I had recent experience to compare. 20m started
normal, but quickly ran out of stations. By 01Z everyone
had left. 40m was open all across the country, but signals
were weak. Again, all the "contest" operators were quickly
worked, and the rate fell. By 02:30Z I had to brave the
noise of 80m while QRP and yes, it was hard and s-l-o-w.
Thank you to the people who stuck with me to complete a QSO.

Final score better than last October, but way down from
March. We need to encourage more participation, or deal
with the drain from the Makrothen RTTY contest.

K6UFO MORK CA

W6YX Stanford University:
20m: 6 el yagi at 60 ft, 5 el at 40 ft
40m: 4 el at 60 ft, inverted vee at 50 ft.
80m: inverted vees at 50 ft
Two Yaesu FT-1000MPs turned down to 5 watts
Writelog, MMTTY, Microham u2R

QSOs by hour and band.
       80M     40M     20M    Total   Cumm
00Z    ---+-   ---+-     38      38     38
01Z       -      31       4      35     73
02Z      10       9       -      19     92
03Z       8       3       -      11    103
Total:   18      43      42