[3830] CQWW CW P40W(W2GD) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 2 18:46:53 EST 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: P40W
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: P40W

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Aruba

  160:  174    13       33
   80:  596    21       70
   40:  826    26       84
   20:  992    32       91
   15: 1470    33       94
   10: 2062    32       98

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Location:  Santa Cruz, Aruba - 1 Km NW of P49Y/P40L and 8 Km SE of P40C/P49V
Station:  K3 100 Watts + Win-Test Logging Software
Antennas:
160M - Vertical Dipole, Inverted V
80M  3el wire beam (EU), Inverted V
40M  Force 12 Delta 240, 4el wire beam (EU)
20M - 10M  Force 12 C31XR and F12 C3
Beverages NE, NW, N/S, E/W (the most important antennas on the property)

A few observations this past weekend:

As Sig N3RS said in in write-up .....these were the best conditions in decades.
 Only 160 meters (1st night) was lacking at this QTH.  The BIG STORY - NO Low
Band QRN, none of those nasty static crashes that make you miss the same letter
in a call over and over.  This is the 'rainy season' in the Caribbean and it as
amazing we had no storms generating noise.  THAT made this weekend not just fun
but SPECTACULAR (and much less fatiguing).

Upon arrival Tuesday there was little station prep since the antenna systems
were still set up from CQWW PH ....only had to adjust the 80 meter inverted V
and extend the element tips on the 3el 80 meter wire beam. All of the antennas
worked flawlessly this weekend....and it was so great to feel "loud"
despite being LP....the pileups were always instantaneous and huge on every
QSY.  A big hand to the guys who have worked so hard to improve skimmer
performance.  We all benefit.

Had several anxious hours on Tuesday evening when my K3 suddenly up and died.
Immediately posted a plea for help on the web and within 10 mins. had multiple
the problem was tracked down to a poorly seated internal connector.  Got it
working...BUT...with only 2 hours left Sunday afternoon, the radio did the same
thing twice....so being the electronic genius I am I gave it a good
"wack". it came back to life, and held my breath till the end.

Weather was nearly perfect on Aruba leading up to the contest.  It rained
mostly at night so work activities during the daylight hours proceeded without
delays or problems.  It even felt less humid than normal for November...a most
welcome surprise since it can be totally brutal.

Thanksgiving dinner was a terrific holiday buffet at the Hyatt Hotel arranged
by P49Y. No fewer than five meat entries, ten desert choices, and so many salad
and vegetable choices I lost count.  YUM!  Shared the festive occasion with
AE6Y, KU1CW, P43A and their families. Great food and terrific conversation.

When the CQWW CW bell rang it was off to the races on 20 meters.  Suppose I
should have first listened to 15 and 10 for a better sense of the conditions
(and maybe put some SEA mults in the log early that I ultimately missed) but
old habits die hard.  The basic plan this time (following the well conceived
analysis by LP record holder AA3B/V26K) was to run run run, do less
"DXing" than I normally would, and hope the multipliers would find
me.  My goals were 6000 Q  150 Z  450 C.  In the end I beat them all which
either shows my prognostication skills are not very good or conditions were
just that much more spectacular than I'd ever imagined....probably the later
with an SFI over 180 and microscopic A and K index numbers all weekend.  I
thank the solar gods for cooperating.

My ten favorite thoughts while operating this past weekend (in no particular
order of importance):

1.  I can't believe how quiet the low bands sound....absolutely no static
crashes - I can actually listen on the TX antennas, even on 160.

2.  Could this be the REAL peak of the current sunspot cycle - FINALLY?  I'm
working an endless stream of Z16/Z17/Z18 stations that just a few years ago
seemed such a dream.

3.  What a dummy, I somehow missed my own country on two bands.  Second dummy
move....was listening on a beverage and not a yagi for the first 45 minutes of
the contest.

4.  I kept thinking I should go to 20 meters near midnight local first day but
never did...probably cost me some rate and mults with the reported over the
pole activity...instead I kept trying to make something happen on 160 but it
didn't pan out.

5.  The thirteen year old 40 and 80 meter wire beams keep on giving - why are
the least expensive antennas always the most productive?

6.  Those running high power are so obvious ...sure wish we could find some
fool proof method to reign in these outlaws and make it fair for everyone.
Disqualify all of them - cheaters!

7.  Pileup control is an "art" .... listening to those who are
blessed with the advanced skills to do it right is both exciting and
educational.

8.  Having Sudan call in near the end and moving the OP RA9USU to multiple
bands for three doubles in 30 seconds....WOW...what a 'rush' and score bump!

9.  Why do I so often miss (and not even hear) so many easy mults on so many
bands (missed ZD8 entirely, V47, V26, 6W, 8P, ZF, HI, P4, YV, Zone 1, Zone 2,
VP2M and so many others too many places - sigh).

10.  Pushing hard the last few hours not knowing how my very able and
competition was doing over at V26K had me a little worried since I'd overslept
two hours - hadn't heard V26K for over 44 hours.  It was a motivator.

Thanks to all of those who made went to some otherwise inactive country to
operate this contest....BRAVO....we appreciate the sacrifice.  Thanks to all
the 'newbies' who discovered the joy of the CQWW contest....come back next year
too!   Thanks to my fellow Aruban competitors (KU1CW, AE6Y) for sharing your
time and ideas.  Thanks to K5ZD and the team of people behind the scenes who
have raised the bar on contest adjudication and have helped make the CQWW CW
the most popular international event year after year.  Thanks to my loving XYL
who understands not being home for Thanksgiving is something "I just gotta
do" most years.  :-)  And most of all a HUGE thank you to my Aruban hosts
who have treated me like family for nearly 20 years.

73,

John W2GD at P40W

GO FRC