[3830] ARRL 10 W4VIC SO CW Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 14 18:16:24 EST 2014

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W4VIC
Operator(s): W4VIC
Station: W4VIC

Class: SO CW Unlimited HP
QTH: VA

   CW:  225   114
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  225   114  Total Score = 102,600

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

PRO III, MICROKEYER II, ACOM 2000A, STEPPIR DB-18 @ 50'

Three objectives going into this event:

Objective #1 completed.  Worked NJ and VT to complete 10M WAS.  Triple Play
just doesn't cut it, there has to be a 5BWAS certificate on the wall next to
it.  NJ turned out to be easier than expected and I worked 3 or 4 of them.
Thanks.  VT was extremely difficult, although I thought it would be easier than
N.J.  Turns out I heard/worked only ONE VT station, and so for insurance I
logged him again some 12 hours later as a dupe just to be sure!  Working the
close-in sections on 10M was really difficult as the Highly Motivated
Operators, too many of them, would not let a solid confirmation take place.
C'Mon guys -- Vermont may be hard, but there's no excuse for bullying stations
trying to make the difficult QSO.  Just let it happen and we can all go home
happy!

Objective #2 completed.  One of the most important of lifes tests is this:
SHOW UP.  I copied some serial numbers at the high 3K level.  Those guys really
showed up.  Good for those guys.  I doubt they lived on city blocks too close to
a major shopping center and had to suffer the Great Mid-Atlantic Signal Suck-Out
characteristic of this area.  Don't know what the heck it is, but there can be
propagation to everywhere all around this area and at the same time the bands
are dry as snuff here (at 50').  Antennas at 125 feet and above do quite well,
but there aren't all that many of them in this area.  So the big test for any
contest event (especially for me) is just to show up and do what you can do.
Personal best is always a good target.

Objective #3 completed.  Thank you, Jeff N8II.

Fighting medical issues here.  Glad to be able to spend some time in the
contest.  Thanks everyone for the Qs.  73, Vic, W4VIC