[3830] WPX CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 26 12:39:30 EDT 2014

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI

   20: 1208
   15: 1245

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I got an email last week from a local PEI friend that he had been by my place
and there was a lot of ice damage from an APRIL ice storm. I couldn't see it
real well  on my internet enabled cameras, because I put the screens back up
after my last trip. I arrived at 1:30 AM and it was dark but a few hours later,
by the dawns early light, I saw they did not proudly stand.

The top two 20 meter yagis had the boom bent in half, the top 10 meter yagi wss
missing 1/2 a reflector, the low 40 meter yagi as 1/2 gone, the SA 40 meter yagi
was 1/2 gone and the SA tribander was all gone.

Very fortunately, I had Matt, KC1XX and his climbing partner Andrew scheduled
in this last week. They put the good 20m yagi on top, made one 20 meter yagi
from the 2 broken ones and put it in the middle position. That was fixed on
Europe as the prop pitch controller failed. They made a 2 element shorty forty
from the 5 damaged elements. They fixed the 10 meter reflector. They fixed
problems with the 40 meter prop pitch and the 15 meter rotators, although the
middle one froze on JA during contest. Anyway, I had something good on every
band.

20m was open the entire contest. 15m was a close second. There wasn't that much
activity on 40m compared to previous years. 80m was noisy and I never even got
the US 4 point pileups going. While 20 & 15 were great, the pileups weren't
as rip roaring deep as in previous years. The JA runs on both bands were
terrific.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT