[3830] WPX CW W3EF SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 26 14:23:17 EDT 2014

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W3EF
Operator(s): W3EF
Station: W3EF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MD

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Well, that was reasonably hard work, though I think I did pretty well.

It's just my impression, but I think the second peak of the cycle is over.
Yes, 15m was hot nearly all of the contest, 20 was open to EU all night (less
so in the mornings and noontimes here), and 10 saw some excellent openings to
Asia/Pacific, but there was no significant EU opening on 10 and nothing at
all there in the local morning, which is when 10 really gets hot at the cycle
peaks. 80 was not runnable from here and 160 was still more or less dead.
Still,
I did manage some 382 6-pointers, which kept my score at least close to 2012.

So I'm hoping this one USA SOABLP record I still hold will stand (after the
debacle that was CQWW CW for me, arriving 3 hours late and thus losing
the record).  At least, for sure *I* didn't break it (after log checking).
But no guarantees!

Congrats to friends/rivals N5AW and NV1N (N1UR), to all who
travelled to put some exotic prefixes on the air, and to those who arranged
some right there at home.  Thanks especially to the contest committee and to
contest director (and longtime SOLP aficionado) Terry, N4TZ/9.  Thanks also to
all my friends who called in from around the world, especially from G-land
where
I used to live (and may yet again one day).  Looking forward to the next
5-Star DXers trip with many of you guys (details forthcoming one of these
days).
And while I'm at it, GO PVRC!!!

Just one more thing...should this prove, for any reason, to be the end of my
serious SOLP contesting days, it's been a blast and I can't thank you all
enough!

73 and thanks for all the Qs and all the great competition,

Maury W3EF