[3830] SS CW W1WEF Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 4 18:52:26 EST 2014

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1WEF
Operator(s): W1WEF
Station: W1WEF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EMA

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Looked forward to this one for the first time from Cape Cod for the first time
because I didn't think I'd need big antennas to have fun in SS. My goals were a
Sweep and 1000 Qs. My memory is so short though...SS gets tougher and slower to
find new contacts on Sunday...and every year for over 50 years I've said never
again!!!

I already had a TH6 here on the Cape at 60 ft, working great with close to 1:1
SWR on all bands since my overhaul last year. I bought a WRTC station thinking
I'd put up the TX3 here but couldn't wait and fixed my TH6. For 40 I hung a
dipole between the tower and my tallest tree, broadside E-W, but it wasn't easy
because it goes over a tree right in it's path. For 80 I put up a K2KQ
"C" that seems to work pretty well, but the SWR isn't great possibly
because it's too close to the tower. At least my AL1500 doesn't mind high SWR.
The new FTDX5000 is still the best radio I ever had.

Started out  with a terrific first hour run on ten with 102 Qs. In the first
hour a weak VY1EI called me with his No 4. what a start! Ten can be a magic
band. Stayed in the chair for 9 hours...and then couldn't sleep with leg
cramps.  After getting up with two hours actual sleep I went out and got some
of the best medicine I've found for cramps...Gator Aid. It really works for
me.

Meanwhile, the forecast high blustery winds on the Cape arrived during the
night and continued all day. At 4PM Sunday  it hadn't let up and was  as
violent as I'd ever seen for such a long period. My 40 dipole came down, but it
was a wonder I only lost one big branch. Power flickered a few times and went
off for a few seconds. The SWR on the beam rose to 4:1 from the driving rain,
but thankfully it After the contest water in the traps dried out and SWR is
good again.
With the SWR that high, I decided to forget my goal of 1000 Qs and took a nap,
but came down to the shack to search once more for my last mult, Ak. Within two
minutes I found AL1G high on 15 and worked him with my 4:1 SWR to complete the
sweep. It's still a thrill to find those last few needed mults.   JACK W1WEF

                               ---