[3830] SS CW KT8K Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 4 19:09:29 EST 2014

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN82cg SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 23:06

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Phew - pulled a 16 hour stint at the end and was falling asleep between Q's the
last couple of hours.  It was rough.  But propagation was very good and I only
missed the clean sweep by the absence of NT - I never heard them.  I just
couldn't make it to my personal best either - conditions weren't THAT good -
but I did get in a few good runs, the best being 29 Q's started at 1108Z on 80m
and run off at a pace of 42.8/hr.  I might have eclipsed that doing S&P a
couple of times but the logging software doesn't capture that.  Most of my
attempts at running were huge wastes of time, and certainly hurt my final
score.

Thanks to all who pulled me out of the noise for a mutual score.  My vertical
tribander element (feed point at 55' or so ) traded off with my 20-40-80
inverted vee and the 500+ foot horizontal loop as to which was best, sometimes
from minute to minute, so I had to keep flipping antenna selectors to make sure
I was getting through with the loudest possible signal.  QRP is tough, no doubt,
but I was being heard most of the time if I could just avoid the interference
from adjacent frequencies, which was often crushing.

I'll probably take a good shot at the SS SSB coming up, and hope to work you
all then.  73 de kt8k - Tim