[3830] SS SSB WX3B Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 16 23:09:56 EST 2014

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 9:22

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Was looking forward to at least 1,000 QSOs in a 12 - 14 hour effort, however
Wednesday evening before SS I caught the dreaded head cold/cough/dreary feeling
plague going around.

Dennis N8IVN took a chance, came over and operated with his home call N8IVN
while I enjoyed being an SWL with my Yacht-boy 400PE while resting upstairs.
Amazing how well that little radio can hear on 40 meters with a whip antenna.

At about 2:41am I woke up, couldn't sleep and felt good enough to get on the
air for the first time...so onto 75 meters...where I worked about 200 stations
x 58 sections!  It really slowed down in the early morning hours...

Napped on and off during the day Sunday and got serious in the late afternoon
about trying to break 500 QSOs.  Just after sunset I figured 75 would be the
place to be and boy I couldn't have made a bigger mistake.  I gave up a good
run on 40 because my rate was dropping.

Note to self for next year:  75 isn't always as good as 40!!  The 75 meter band
had good propagation, but the population density was on 40 Sunday night this
year.

Quite the gentlemen's contest, folks moved if they got too close, and there
were never any protracted frequency debates.

High band were so good it was difficult to decide which one to be on...no
matter, I chose sleeping over radio anyway.

MASSIVE PVRC turnout make this particularly fun.

One day when I figure this contest out I want to have a score and signal like
W6YI....ok I'd settle for that signal!

Congratulations to all that participated - weekend conditions were
spectacular.

73,

Jim   WX3B