[3830] CaQP NI6T M/MCntyExp HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 7 01:58:59 EDT 2014

                    California QSO Party

Call: NI6T
Operator(s): K6MI K6RB K9YC KK6GRP N3ZZ N6RNO NI6T W6GJB
Station: NI6T

Class: M/MCntyExp HP
QTH: Tehama

--------------------
Total:  1932   1728  Mults = 57  Total Score = 527,364

Club: RidgeRunners Radio Club

Comments:

This was our most successful effort ever, and broke our previous Tehama County
record. We had four stations -- two dedicated to CW on all bands except 10M, a
third dedicated to SSB on 40, 20, and 15, and a fourth dedicated to 10M CW and
SSB, and to 75 SSB. W6GJB bought and commissioned a 12 ft box trailer that
served as a very nice home for the two CW stations; the other two stations were
in tents. We had dipoles for 75 and 40 SSB and K6MI's big tribander for 20/15,
widely separated from individual dipoles and a C3SS for CW, with a second C3SS
for the second CW station. This allowed us to run our K3/P3 CW and SSB stations
at the 500W level on the same band with with those widely separated antennas.
The 10M station had K6MI's newly built 5-el yagi.

Six old guys and one slightly younger one did all the work setting up and
tearing down, and by the end of the weekend were feeling every one of our
years. We hit the site (a wide spot in the road about 20 miles west of Red
Bluff) at about 3 pm on Thursday, got an 80M dipole up, and retired to Red
Bluff for dinner and hotel beds. Everything else got set up on Friday. The only
really young guy, KK6GRP, showed up near the end of setup on Friday, operated
some SSB on Saturday, and left the exhausted old guys to tear it down. Ranjeet
was a brand new General last year, and we did a good job of teaching him SSB
contesting, but we somehow forgot the part about pitching in on the work of
setup and teardown.

We ate well, with K6MI and W6GJB splitting the cooking duties. Note that this
was a real expedition -- there was no equipment or antennas at the site when we
arrived, and there was nothing left when we packed up and drove away 3 hours
after the contest ended.

73, Jim K9YC