[3830] CQWW SSB K1LT SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 27 22:22:46 EDT 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: EM89ps Ohio

  160:   16     8       12
   80:   55    10       35
   40:   76    12       46
   20:  236    36      109
   15:  193    36      107
   10:  708    33      133

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

My only goal this time was to see if the new full-size 80 meter "fat"
vertical works any better than the "cage" of wires around the 160
meter vertical.  Since the 160 meter vertical has 75 125-foot radials
and the new 80 meter vertical has only 42 69-foot radials, I had no
expectation of greater performance.  But the bandwidth of the "fat"
vertical, made of a HyTower and lots of extra aluminum is much greater
than the "cage" wires, each of which has only about 50 kHz
bandwidth,
scattered in various potentially useful places around the band.  I'll
let you know the actual bandwidth when I replace the 300 feet of
ancient RG8 with something less lossy.

My limited operating on 80 meters suggests that the two antennas
perform about the same, but I don't have to mess with the antenna
tuner with the new vertical.  I still have to tweak the amplifier when
moving a fair amount.

All operating was point and shoot, except for 30 minutes around 1415Z
on 29.122 MHz when I worked 135 stations by CQing.  That must be my
all time fastest batch of QSOs.  I hope I didn't annoy anyone.  I
worked another 140 people by CQing about 4 hours later, but it took
twice as long.  After I worked all the spots I could find, I did some
tuning to find even more multipliers to work.

The surprise multipliers were 3B8HA and FR/DJ7RJ during the second
run.  I guess it pays to call CQ, even on phone.

One fun moment was when 4O3A asked me on 40 meters to go to 160
meters.  I changed bands, and said "4O3A K1LT", and out of the noise
popped this amazingly copiable signal which said "K1LT 59 15".  I
think there was decent 160 meter propagation that nobody was using.

I took some time off Saturday to finish closing the pool and some more
time off Sunday because the weather was so nice and I wanted to do
some antenna work.

DX worked: 3B8, 4L, 4O, 4X, 5B, 5R, 5W, 6Y, 8P, 9A, 9K, 9M6, 9Y, A6,
A7, BY, C3, C6, C9, CE, CE9, CM, CN, CT, CT3, CU, CX, D4, DL, DU,
E5/s, E7, EA, EA6, EA8, EA9, EI, ER, ES, EU, EY, F, FH, FM, FR, FW,
FY, G, GD, GI, GJ, GM, GM/s, GU, GW, HA, HB, HB0, HC, HI, HK, HP, HR,
HS, HZ, I, IG9, IS, IT9, J3, J6, J7, JA, JT, JW, K, KH0, KH2, KH6,
KH8, KL, KP2, KP4, LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OA, OE, OH, OH0, OK, OM, ON,
OX, OZ, P4, PA, PJ2, PJ4, PY, PZ, S0, S5, S7, SM, SP, SV, SV5, SV9,
T8, TA, TA1, TF, TG, TI, TK, UA, UA2, UA9, UN, UR, V2, V3, V4, VE, VK,
VK9L, VK9X, VP5, VP9, VR, VU, XE, XW, YB, YL, YN, YO, YS, YU, YV, Z3,
Z6, ZD7, ZD8, ZF, ZK3, ZL, ZP, and ZS which is 152 entities.  Heard
but not worked: 9M2, FO, and a couple of other I can't remember.

Equipment: K3, P3, Alpha 8410 with a new bandswitch wafer, tribander
and verticals.